Solar PV Systems Design and Installation
…a basic course for a career in the solar industry
Solar PV Systems Design and Installation
This is the basic course for a career in the solar industry. It all starts with the fundamentals, and a solid understanding of various components, system architectures, and applications for PV systems. Other topics include site analysis, system sizing, array configuration, and performance estimation; electrical design characteristics such as wiring, overcurrent protection, and grounding; a detailed look at module and inverter specifications and characteristics; mounting methods for various roof structures and ground-mounts.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
Students who complete this course will be able to:
- Describe global and regional PV demand and growth trends
- Examine solar industry employment trends and options
- Identify and describe basic functions of different components of PV systems
- Introduce the features and applications of the following PV system configurations: PV-direct, stand-alone, grid-direct, multimode
- Design, Size up a solar system for any use.
- Install a solar panel
- Diagram systems to understand component interaction and power flow
- Define the two types of electrical current (AC and DC) and explain their differences
- Understand site safety requirements, safety equipment, accessories, PPEs and applications.
- Explain the relationship between: volts, amps, amp-hours, watts, watt-hours, and kilowatt-hours; perform power and energy calculations
- Describe typical electrical service voltages and equipment
- Examine power, energy, and demand / production curves
- Define utility bill terminology
- Describe PV metering options
- Compare incentive mechanisms for renewable energy installations
- Describe the differences among various PV cell technologies
- Identify key components of a PV module and choose important criteria from module specification sheets
- Locate important points on the I-V curve
- Apply different temperature and irradiance measurements to voltage and current values
- Explain the purpose and basic functioning of bypass diodes
- Identify meters used with PV systems and key points of meter use and safety
- List common functions of digital multimeters (DMM) and clamp-on ammeters
- Describe basic procedures for testing an operating PV system
- Define and list characteristics of series and parallel circuits, and review the application of these connections to ensure system compatibility
- Determine azimuth and altitude angle of the sun using a sun chart
- Define factors that impact the amount of peak sun hours reaching the array
- Apply shading losses to estimated AC energy production
- Identify tilt angle and orientation that provides maximum energy production
- Pre-qualify a customer
- Explain how remote site assessment tools are used
- Identify factors limiting system size
- Identify data required to size and design a grid-direct PV system
- Identify common PV mounting options; list advantages and disadvantages of different mounting options
- Assess PV array layout options
- Identify and define the function of the following on a three-line diagram of a grid-direct PV system: equipment grounding & conductors, ungrounded conductors, functionally grounded conductors, grounding electrode, grounding electrode conductor, electrical system grounding
- Define the primary function of an inverter, and identify the important information used to specify a grid-direct inverter
- Identify the different types of inverter technologies and list their advantages and disadvantages
- Describe some installation tips and techniques for the different types of power electronics
- Calculate PV array size using the online PVWatts tool
- Apply appropriate system loss factors
- Create charts for your location to aid in sizing estimates
- Describe why temperature is an important system design consideration
- Describe DC-to-AC power ratio and how it applies to system design; when to use a higher or lower power ratio
- Describe criteria for different power electronics options in PV systems
- Determine the correct wiring configuration of PV modules and power electronics for a given application
- Identify and describe characteristics of conductor materials and insulations
- Determine color coding of conductors based on wire type and circuit characteristics
- Identify terminology for the various circuits in PV systems
- Determine maximum current for PV system circuits
- Identify and describe considerations for selecting conductors to meet ampacity and voltage drop requirements
- Explain the purpose and correct placement of disconnects and overcurrent protection
- Perform basic overcurrent device sizing for DC and AC PV system circuits
- Identify potential jobsite hazards and opportunities for additional safety training
- Determine proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for PV installation and commissioning tasks
- Describe lockout / tagout procedures
- List 5 basic commissioning tests to be completed after a system is installed
These trainings would build the capacity of the participants in the following Renewable energy technology value chain such as:
- Installation Engineers
- Marketers and Distributors
- Independent Consultants
- Solar Energy Promoters
After these trainings it is expected that participants should be capable of designing and implementing solar power solutions. As an outcome they might;
- Design and size up systems and sell to manufacturers
- Pay for it to be manufactured for them
- Produce themselves.
- Supply electricity through micro grids
- Distribute solar solutions
- Provide installation and maintenance services
- Become advocates of a solar powered Nigeria.
OUR GOAL IS:
- To reduce unemployment in Nigeria by raising and grooming solar energy and energy efficiency professionals who will then be qualified for jobs in the sector.
- Create competent solar installers across the nation with international standards
- Provide manpower for small and large scale solar installations across the nation.
- To groom Solar Entrepreneurs
Course duration: 1 Week
Teaching Aid Multimedia System and Facilities
- Training Hall
- Marker Board (180CM X 120CM)
- Flip Board & Charts
- 5 packs of Marker & 2 duster
- Projector and Projector Screen
- First Aid Kit
The registration fee covers;
- Training presentations ( and soft copies)
- Practical / Hands-on engagement
- Certificate of Completion
- Daily Refreshments
Participants join our Alumni group – GREEN ENTREPRENEURS ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA for on-going support after the training.
Call 07018833484 for inquiries
PARNTERS AND SATISFIED CLIENTS
Ndubuisi Moses T.
Meet Mr Ndubuisi T. Moses. After his training, he was mentored and then automatically received access to the Growth Support Plan through which he received guidance, access to professional engagement, opportunities in the sector and detailed support which enabled him set up his business AFRIQSOLAR through which he’s already providing solar product sales and installation services. Read about AFRIQSOLAR.
Meet Enoch Momodu. A former banker. After his training, he was inducted into the alumni association and automatically gains access to the Growth Support Plan through which he has received guidance, proffessional advisory and support for how to start his renewable energy business. Through this support, he has now established his company – ASKO SOLAR and ELECTRICAL SERVICES ENTERPRISE. And has vowed to spread the good news to his former bank and help connect them via solar.
We are empowering women to join the STEM. Meet Ms Chimuanya Ibeh, a Lawyer who joined our training. She had deep interest in the business aspect of renewable energy technology and how solar applications could help curb energy poverty. During the training all participants are charged to identify their target market. She Identified women who own shops and sell at night in her community as her target market. She has been guided through the Growth Support Plan to set up her small business CLEAN ENERGY TRUST SERVICES. She hopes to empower women in her community.
We are very proud of Mr Sunday Alome and especially celebrate him. He was a Soldier but after learning about the enormous opportunities that abound in the solar sector, he attended our training to gain more knowledge. After his training, he was guided through the Growth support plan where he received specified training on the business proceess, product suppliers etc, he has established his small business – ALO-TECH SOLAR WORLD and has vowed to spread the good news of solar to his fellow military community.
Abraham has been a very dedicated member of alumni who is very serious about excelling and making money through the renewable energy space. His business concept is creating change and improving standards of living through the IoT integrated with solar and renewable energy solutions. He was guided and is the first recipient of the Growth Support Plan mentorship with an established solar expert who consults for an international organiztion. Through mentorship, guidance and support received through the Growth Support Plan, he has set up his business – ULTRATEC INTERGRATED SERVICES.
Twenty Five alumni members have been assisted to gain employment with established solar firms